Saturday, December 26, 2009

Silent Film Swooning



Wings (1927) has the distiction of taking home the first Acadamy Award for "Best Picture" but did you know that it also has the distiction of showing the first on-screen same-sex kiss? Granted, it is presented as a "fraternal' kiss between one buddy sending his friend into the great blue beyond but its still the first time one mans lips touched another man on celuloid. Of course, by Hollywoods reasoning...if one man is going to kiss another man someone had dam well better be dying. Despite the movies outward story and the heterosexual love interests...this scene alone points to a very strong undertone of homosexual relationship between Jack and David, our two WWI heroes.




I couldn't help but be touched at the intimacy between these two men in this scene and it made me wonder how many closeted gay men, watching this in 1927,  wished for a love like that. It always takes me aback when I see two men kiss and share love on screen. Not because its shocking, but because we see such things so rarely that when we do, their impact is huge. I remember watching "Brokeback Mountain" how my heart beat like a drum through the whole movie. It made me want to sweep jay up in my arms like Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'hara and have a big screen kiss of my own. I wish everyone could know such moments in life. It makes me sad that a whole generations of men and women hide to hide those moments or cover them with a heterosexual veneer...ah well, I'm getting maudlin now...*sigh*

Needless to say...even though this little clip was sad in its outward story and so subtle in its implied story...it moved me...and I had my own little silver screen sigh....I hope you will too.

Happy Holidays everyone....till next time...


5 comments:

  1. Bryan,

    I was touched the same way when you looked into Jay's eyes in your King and King youtube clip. Your eyes radiated the intimacy between you two guys in that scene. I think I will watch the clip again, after I watch Wings.

    Later,

    HurricaneKyle2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soundtrack! It brought emotion to the movie clip. I cant help but imagine the way Bryan and Jay looked at each other during their dance at their wedding day.


    I luv luv Bicentennial Man and Then You Looked at Me is my favorite song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought it a terrible irony of history that the Germans had the best clothes. The ones that chose not to wear silly glasses and facial hair looked amazing. Not like the brown of the British or the Green of the Yanks!

    Screw you Tommy Hilfiger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Kiel had it right. in King&King you made me feel that way Bry.

    That´s true love right there. that why it makes us fell that way

    Damn goblin you and you ways to beat me!

    Lo@ your post dude XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bryan,

    Just found your YouTube channel and followed it to the blog--I love your videos and your message. I made sure to send along your channel to my Twitter followers! Your family is adorable and I'm glad you had such a lovely Christmas morning! All the best in 2010! Much love to all of you!

    Lauren xoxo

    ReplyDelete